Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Wire Update to an Old Window

Last winter (in the biggest snowstorm of the year!) I convinced my husband and daughter to go with me about 100 miles away to buy some old windows.  I ended up buying two for myself and getting two for a friend.  I used the first one for this project.

The second 'window' didn't have any glass in it, but had great old, chippy paint and worn wood that I loved!  It sat in the basement utility room for months.  I knew I wanted to do something with it, but wasn't sure quite what that was...

 

...Until I saw The Vintage Bag Lady's Post about how she used chicken wire on an old window.  I knew what my next project would be!

I bought a roll of wire at Home Depot for about $10.  I stapled the chicken wire to the frame.  (ok, yes, this is a picture of my husband stapling, but really I did most of the stapling, and he is not good about taking pictures of me doing these projects!)  :) 






There were some sharp edges on the back, so I put some Gorilla tape along the back so the wire wouldn't scratch up the wall.


And here it is up in my office.  I'm so happy with it!



 When I was hanging the pictures, etc on it, I thought regular clothespins were too big. I found these little ones at Michael's.  They worked perfectly!


While I was at it, I added this box that I made.   It's a good size to hold all of the 'stuff' that accumulates on my desk.



Thanks so much for visiting!

Pam


27 comments:

  1. Great idea Pam I like the way it looks on the wall and is a great way to display photos and cards, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so excited that you found my post inspiring...enough to actually make one yourself! Thanks for letting me know about it...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam,
    You beat me to it you clever girl. That exact project is on my to do list, small cloths pins and all. It turned out great and you chose a great place to hang it. Fab:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! And everything you have on display is within easy reach. I may have to borrow your idea! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Pam! Turned out so well, and what a good purpose it now has...love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea Pam! It looks fantastic, too! Just perfect! I have an old shutter that I think I am going to use for display over our computer. Just love repurposing stuff!!

    Hugs! Have a great week!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea. And I just happen to have some chicken wire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I love it and thank you for the little clothes pin tip. I have 4 old windows sitting around but they smell so musty I am going to have to seal them!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow are we thinking a like lately! I just put chicken wire on an old window....Your window is better though!. Just perfect how you displayed it!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the chicken wire - great idea - and now it is so useful. Thanks for visiting Pandora's Box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the use of window frame with chicken wire! I love finding uses for old window frames. I use chicken wire to hang jewelry :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea. We just replaced 7 of the original windows in our 1928 house. I put all the windows in the basement to use for future projects and just needs some ideas. This helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great, so nice to be able to repurpose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking for old windows and can't find any! I love what you did with it!

    Shannon @ Imperfectly-Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam they are so neat! You really have some unique pieces that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam, I "love" this! And to think I just sold a bunch of these in the auction last year. :-( going to have to try and find one now, I think this might be the perfect solution to an area in the shop. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I think the window memo boards are so handy. Yours turned out fantastically!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect idea!!! WOW, the office is so organized! High 5!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A brilliant idea, my husband would love a project like this but I do not think we have any old windows at the moment. We used two recently as false windows on a blank wall.
    I am so glad to have discovered your blog, now following. Thanks for leaving a comment on News From Italy recently, hope to see you there again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a wonderful idea! I'm totally inspired. I just need to find an old window frame and some chicken wire. my computer area could use a little updating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.