Friday, August 17, 2012

DIY Coasters

I'm going to a "Favorite Things" party tonight hosted by my friend Ali @ Just Me and decided to do another coaster project for it.  We have them all over our house and I've given several sets away as gifts.  I really do love the look of them.   


HERE is a link to my other Omni-gel projects.
I started with 4" tiles from Lowe's.  They are called Agora Almond and were 33 cents each.  I put a piece of cork on the bottom of it, cut to just a little smaller than the tile.  I bought a roll of self stick cork at Michael's.





I used graphics from The Graphics Fairy (the Ball Jars, Watering Can and Cloche) and the Bicycle and Ampersand images I found on Etsy.  I printed them off on my laser printer using the normal print (not mirror image).  Remember, if you don't have a laser printer, just print the graphic off any printer and make a copy at Kinko's, then you'll have the right type of copy.   I used the wallet size on Picasa and did one graphic per page.  (I tried to do 2 and 4 graphics per page and they printed too closely together).



I used a foam brush and applied even coats of Omni-gel.  (I buy Omni-gel at Michael's.  It's not easy to find, so you may have to ask a salesperson where to find it there.)   You'll want to brush it on in one direction, let that dry completely, brush it on the opposite direction, let that dry, then brush it on diagonally and let that dry.  Be sure to cover enough of the graphic and surrounding paper so it'll easily fit on a 4" tile.  I then cut the graphic to about 6" square so it's easier to work with.

Once it's all dry (I let them sit overnight after the 3 coats), set the graphic in a tub of water.  I used a dishpan from the Dollar Store.  Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.  If you leave it longer, it's fine.



I took it out and set it on a piece of wax paper.  I used a damp microfiber cloth and rubbed the paper off in a circular motion.  Be sure to get all of the paper off.  I usually run it under some water to try to get everything off.







I then set the wet graphic on the tile and carefully cut to fit the tile.  (it works best if the graphic is wet so it doesn't slide around on the tile while you're cutting it)  Be sure not to cut too small or too big. The edges of the graphic will fit nicely in the grooves at the edge of the tile and you won't be able to see them.


Carefully lift the cut graphic off the tile (it shouldn't be delicate as it's kind of rubbery at this point), spread Omni-gel in a thin layer on the back of the graphic and the top of the tile.  Use your finger to spread the Omni-gel and get rid of any air bubbles.  You can apply some Omni-gel to your finger to spread it easily.  You will have to peel the Omni-gel off of your hands.  :)




Set the tiles aside to dry overnight. 

I put a little sprinkle of salt on them, then spray with a clear sealant.  I found that the salt keeps glasses from sticking to the tiles later on.


I hope whoever gets my 'favorite thing' likes them as much as I do!


Thanks for coming by!

Pam


A BIG Thank You to Palatin Remodeling, Inc. for naming my blog "Best Innovative Blog 2012"  I am thrilled to have won!!


Presented by:
Palatin Remodeling Inc
 
 
I am linking to the following parties:
 
Debbiedoo's Newbie Grad Party 
 
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday 
 
 
DIY Show Off
The Graphics Fairy
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Home Stories A2Z
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

41 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Pam! These are gorgeous and would make the best gifts. Thanks for the directions, and I love all the graphics you chose. I'm pinning this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful. I've never used these products, but looks like you are a pro at this. Lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam these look FABULOUS!! Congrats on that awesome win!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, they turned out great. I love the images you chose. Hope you have fun at the party and congratulations on your win!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just so creative-and they look like they would have come from a high end store with the last name of pologie. Well deserved win on the Innovative Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the, what great gifts to give. You are to creative. My favorite are the ball jar one. The prints are endless that can be applied. I think I will add this to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi darling, these are incredible! Love, love, love them. I'm saving this, when I get some time I'm going to try it.. what wonderful gifts! hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. I can't wait to try this for myself!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are incredible. I love the one with the mason jar and I think the twine ties are the perfect finishing touch. Can't imagine anyone not being thrilled to get a set!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun. I love this idea. These look so pretty. Thanks for the tutorial. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those are just awesome Pam! I love how you did these. I have never seen omni gel before. Thanks so much for sharing and joining me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the coasters and first time to see Omni Gel. Will have to try this.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your coasters caught my eye on the Between Naps on the Porch party. Great idea!
    Thanks,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your coasters are awesome Pam! I love the graphics. Haven't ever heard of Omni Gel. You are always an inspiration when it comes to transfer projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial. Thanks for visiting my blog and following. I followed you right back.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look really great. Now, I saw that the bottle of Omni Gel has writing both in English and French... So I'll try to find that in France... Though maybe it's just because it's sold in Quebec... People at the DIY store are again going to look at me like I'm crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen many tutorials for awesome DIY coasters like these, but I just love this one! And the images you chose are so pretty and "in" right now. Thank you for sharing! Totally pinning this for future reference!

    Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see why this is your favorite thing! I love them, great job!!! I have never worked with Omni -Gel, that is why I love blogging we find out all the latest and greatest!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pam,

    I love your coasters and use mine all the time. I can see why they are your favorite thing.

    Congratulations on the award!!! You go girl!

    I love your header :)

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pam: These coasters are just gorgeous--I so want to try to make some now! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial on how to do it. Congratulations on your award--well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! They are wonderful! I really love them.
    Great idea!
    Besos from Argentina, Silvina.

    ReplyDelete
  22. whoever gets your favorite thing will definitely love them as much as you! fabulous!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! I'm always looking for new ways to transfer images. Thanks for sharing!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are the cutest coasters - my margarita would look amazing on one of those!
    Pinning this so I can make my own someday!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea for making coasters! YOur tutorial is very easy to follow. THese would make great gifts too!
    Please stop by TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS at StoneGable going on now. The coaster project would be great to share!
    http://www.stonegableblog.com/2012/08/tutorials-tips-and-tidbits-10.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  26. It contains truly information. Your website is very useful. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more! Great visualization and unique informative article indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your site is very informative and your articles are wonderful. Mangonia Park HVAC Repair FL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thats look fabovlous.Great amazing designed.I think the base is granite marble??Anyways congrats best of luck
    mac

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now that seems like one of the more fun DIY home improvement projects, especially when you get them all finished up! Thanks for sharing how its done!
    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  30. This post actually made my day. I love your coasters! It is a delight reading the steps and I promise to create mine and share it with you. Also, congratulations! You truly deserve the award for "Best Innovative Blog 2012" . Keep it up :)

    - Paul

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is my first opportunity to visit this website. I found some interesting things and I will apply to the development of my blog. Thanks for sharing useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is what is amazing when dealing with DIY projects, you can do almost anything with anything as long as you have the imagination and the motivation to do what you want. Thank you for sharing this post, it's very useful. You guys did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cute and resourceful! Thanks for the ideas and tips on how to make coasters. It might look simple but it does still require some skills and knowledge to be able to make these yourself. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. ohhh my! Amazing! it so creative and very resourceful, it's perfect for kitchen, I'd love to have this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your coasters are awesome Pam! I love the graphics. Haven't ever heard of Omni Gel. You are always an inspiration when it comes to transfer projects! Painters

    ReplyDelete
  36. Can you also use coloured images? Why is it so important to use a laser printer. I have an ink jet printer and think that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to use colored images. I do know that the way the ink adheres to laser prints and inkjet prints is different, so that's why you need a laser printer for this type of project. Good luck!

      Delete
  37. Hello! I am a bit confused on the wax paper part.... Do you place the image face down? How does it transfer when you are rubbing all the paper away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, the Omnigel creates a rubbery picture of what used to be on the paper. Once you rub off the paper, the part that remains is the image on the rubbery substance. The wax paper was just used to set the images on while I was working with others. Let me know if you have any additional questions! Pam

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.