Saturday, October 13, 2012

Apothecary Jar Love

My parents collected antique apothecary jars for many years.  In the 1971 Northridge earthquake, they lost hundreds of them.  I remember being a kid and just seeing piles and piles of glass.  I'm guessing that some of the bigger ones must've been displayed away from the others, as they survived.  When my Mom passed away, my stepdad gave us her favorite jars.  This "Banjo" jar is one of the neatest I have ever seen.  I am thrilled to get to have it in my home.









These are called Dakota Globes.  I found these at antique shows and on eBay.  The biggest one here is 15" and the smallest is 10".  I've seen an 8" jar for sale for thousands on eBay, so I passed.  :)  




This enormous Dakota Globe is from my Mom.  It is 19" and in amazing shape.  




I just put it up here to show the size difference.  I wanted to keep it down low so it wouldn't be in danger of falling off the mantel.



I love the lid on this one, as it matches the Banjo lid.  




These are called Columbia Swirl.  I like how they made different shapes, but kept the lids consistent.


As kids, we were never, ever allowed to touch the candy in the jars (or the jars for that matter!)   Obviously, I had the same rule with my kids.  :)  Most of the candy is so old, that it's yucky, but it is enticing to little ones! 

I've discovered that the really big jars and the really small jars are the most valuable.    Really though, the jars that are the most valuable to me are those that have been passed down.  I am so happy to have them.

Thanks for coming by!

Pam





 I am linking to the following parties:





></vif187

12 comments:

  1. Pam,
    What a great collection you have. The first is my favorite, I love the unique flat sides. You are lucky to have had a few survive and able to have your moms favorites. Lovely collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all so pretty Pam! It's so nice that you have some of your moms. That candy might be old but it's VERY enticing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty! They are so unique. I don't think I've ever seen anything like them. Well, decanters, I have some from my Grandmother's home...but not apothecary jars. Very interesting and so wonderful that you have some that your mom was able to hold onto.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wayyyy toooo cool. I love how you put all that colorful candy in them Pam...very cute display. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents had some of these jars and they had peppermint candies in them placed so perfect in the jar. It is amazing how someone did this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful collection! I learned a little more about them too, so thanks! I adore old apothecary jars! Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love all the bright colors. I love surrounding myself with color and your post is a cheery spot in my day.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful collection. You are so blessed to have had treasures that belonged to your Mom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam. I know this isn't your newest post, but I already commented on that one and was really taken by your beautiful jars filled with candy. Thank you so much for visiting the Cottage and for following. Now I'm following you. I have the same Dakota globe (although I didn't know that was what it was called) with your rag balls. The realtor and his wife, when we bought the Cottage over 20 years ago, gave it to us. He said it was something his grandmother had. It is in really good shape too and I keep little pieces of glass that were dug up around when we were putting in the yard. It looks pretty in front of a window. I'm going to continue on looking at your older posts..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great blog! I really like the pictures you took outdoors with your birdhouse. Home improvement can be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such as sweet collection here looks mouthwatering. I adore the different jar designs here, and surely Children will love these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.