Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fat Tire Sign on "Aged" Wood





This summer when we were on vacation, we found this free poster in a store.  We loved the look of it and wanted to make something fun for the Game Room.




 
I started by finding new, beat up fence boards from Lowes. My husband glued them together.





 
 
 
 
I then applied my trusty apple cider vinegar and steel wool trick to 'age' the boards.   It's so easy.  Just let the pieces of steel wool soak in the apple cider vinegar either for a few minutes or even overnight, then wipe the vinegar on the boards.  These looked 'aged' in two coats!




 

After one coat...



After the second coat. (about an hour after starting)



At the ends, where the cuts were made, I used a drywall knife and made the edges look torn up. I then dabbed on more of the apple cider vinegar to age those cuts.

We used a spray adhesive to get the poster to stick to the boards.






A simple hanger on the back and free art was ready for the wall!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Thanks for your visit!
 
Pam


I am linking to the following parties:

Creative Cain Cabin's Budget Decorating Party


vif187

19 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the way it turned out for you...the steel wool and vinegar is something I have NOT tried yet!
    I must say...at first, I looked at the title of your post and thought you meant to say 'flat tire'...I chuckled when I read that you meant FAT TIRE...
    I'm silly, I know.
    I love all the 'reds'... Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out fantastic.

    Lisa

    Creative Raisins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! I didn't know about the vinegar and steel wool trick. I'll definitely remember it so I can try it myself. Thanks for the share.
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Pam, What a wonderful way to display a poster. As with your other friends who have commented, I had never heard of using wire wool soaked in vinegar to age a piece of wood, but it certainly worked a treat. This is something I am keeping in mind for my husband's den as he has lots of posters he wants hung and this is such a good idea. Have a lovely, not too busy day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It looks so rustic. My husband and I started to do some renovation in our home, because we wanted to update it and add some of our own personal touches, and we ended up doing things similar to this, as well as getting spiral stairs put in. They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that idea, the sign looks great. I have heard of the vinegar and steel wool, but have not tried it yet! It looks like a no fail aging potion!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised how well that combination of steel wool and vinegar worked. How did you ever think of that? Looks awesome though, nice work.

    utah decks

    ReplyDelete

  8. Very cute and resourceful! I see some great ideas for my bedroom. Will have to look for some cool poster like that. Can't wait to have my house renovated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome Pam. I like that beer too!~ Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool. You come up with the neatest ideas.
    Just wanted to wish you a happy and blessed new year. Keep creating!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial! I've been wanting to make a sign on plywood for awhile now. I just may brave it after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fabulous! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam!
    Thanks for the great vinegar and steel wool tip.
    I'll have to try that,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out great, Pam! My son used that technique on their dining room table and got a very silver-gray color -- very pretty and just what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great and I especially like how you aged the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the free poster. I see that beer being sold at our local grocery store now. Thanks for linking up to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Morning Pam, What a wonderful way to display a poster. As with your other friends who have commented, I had never heard of using wire wool soaked in vinegar to age a piece of wood, but it certainly worked a treat. This is something I am keeping in mind for my husband's den as he has lots of posters he wants hung and this is such a good idea. Have a lovely, not too busy day. Best Wishes Daphne

    Home Improvement tips

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.