Sunday, June 30, 2013

Aging an Old Milk Can



  
A few weeks ago when we were in Oregon, we went to one of my favorite stores in Eugene.  Barb, from Treasures From the Heart was having a "Junque in the Trunk Sale" with lots of vendors.  What perfect timing!  Ok, we weren't planning to go to Eugene until the next day, but I didn't want to miss her sale, so we changed our plans.  :)



I always find great things at her store.  I need to walk around several times so I don't miss anything!
 
One of the fun things I found at the sale was this milk can.  The couple who was selling it had worked hard to clean it up and paint this very cute cow on it.  I loved it, but it was a little too bright for me.
 
Enter some handy-dandy Minwax Provincial stain and the brightness was toned down.




 
I put a couple of coats on with a foam brush, then lightly wiped it off with an old sheet.  I let it dry (not hard in our 100+ degree heat the past several days!)  I then put a coat of clear flat spray on it.  And now I love it in the house.
 
 
Thank you for your visit!
 
Pam
 
 
I am linking to the following parties:
 
 
 
 

DIY Show Off
Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home

17 comments:

  1. I looks super, you did a fabulous job. I just the minwax stain all the time for aging. Perfect isn't it. Great find. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam
    that can turned out so cute! great job.

    And so, so many thanks for the wonderful words about the store. =)
    I just love getting to have it, and it makes it even more fun to know people enjoy it so much.

    Be blessed and have a wonderful summer. =)

    hugs till next time.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame you for not wanting to miss the sale. Looks like a lot of treasures to be found. Thanks for sharing your tip for aging the can. I love it grouped in the corner with your pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes all the difference! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE IT ! Wish I was there on that sale to !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks so much better "aged."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, its perfect now. I do the same thing, have to scour around several times I am afraid I might miss some good junk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I purchased an old rusty milk can a few weeks ago! I need to get the brushes out and make it look as pretty as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking of aging down some galvanized metal and have been thinking of trying stain. you make me think it just might work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting to read thank you I really liked your article I love your beautiful blog and so enjoy your posts.good job

    ReplyDelete
  11. These garage/yard sales are so awesome. We don't have anything like that over in my country; you want to buy something, you go to the store and that is pretty much the only option you have. I'm a little bit of a hoarder so I'd probably end up buying half the things they had at those sales... :)

    Beautifully done by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it Pam! Such a sweet grouping and the blooms are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, this reminds me of the bottle of milk delivered daily. Looks like it came from farm and from the milking station.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is really incredible, one of the most helpful I have ever read,indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! We have milk bottles delivered all the time in my neighborhood so this would be a great home remodeling project in Chicago! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.