Friday, February 7, 2014

Wooden Twine Holder

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
At Christmas, I saw this wooden spool holding a roll of twine in a Crate and Barrel ad.  I thought it looked so neat!  I asked my husband if he could make some?  Yes!
 
 
 
He started with a walnut board. 
 
 
 
He planed it down till it was smooth.
 
 
 
 
 
He was able to cut the circles using his router and drill press. 
 
 
 
He used walnut dowels to keep everything looking consistent.
 
 
 
He used MinWax English Chestnut stain.

And MinWax Wipe on Poly to finish it.
 
 
I bought a roll of twine from Michael's and put it in there.  I am on the lookout for some neat old scissors too!
 
 
It cost about $5 each for the wood.  The twine was $3 with a coupon at Michael's for a total of  $8 each.   I think he did a great job!
 
Thank you for your visit!
 
Pam
 
 
 
I am linking to the following parties:
 
 
 

:



Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home

DIY Show Off

 

18 comments:

  1. I saw that twine spool at C & B, but didn't want to spend the amount of money they were asking. I like yours better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad to read this nice article. I am happy that you made this concept very clear in front of people and to be very frank this is useful information too. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these...you can place them all over!! Your hubby's so talented Pam!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect, I use a mason jar with a hole in the lid for my twine. I like your's better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sure did! I love how handy your husband is Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Your hubby did a great job! If it weren't so cold here, I'd send my hubby out to the garage to make this too! Maybe in the spring?????

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he did a great job too! You're very lucky to have such a talented (and willing!) husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are amazing! Kudos to your hubby! ~Lisa @ Practically Perfect Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very neat project and useful as well. I really like the idea and hubby did such a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohh, you have a planer and a drill press?! Two things we have yet to acquire! I'm trying to figure out how I'll make it so perfect without those things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew a spool of twine could evoke such a positive reaction (in myself.) Usually I am hating my twine because it's laying around the junk drawer unraveling. Really love that walnut spool. If I had it I my twine would never see the inside of a drawer again. That spool is too pretty to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He did a great job! It looks totally authentic. Would love for you to share at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam, your hubby can make just about anything! I think you could sell these twine holders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very handy! being a general contractor here in Southern California , I lose my appreciation for wood working with it everyday. Seeing done beautifully and creatively like you guys did refreshes me. If your interested take a look at my site Free Termite Inspection

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I loved them. I am considering a home renovation and I will definitely consider these items. Also, I want to add some trendy cabinets in our bathroom. I live in Toronto and the designers always come up with new ideas. I want to do something variety this time and now I am collecting some information about home renovations in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post, very creative. We can use variety of things or sometimes junk that can be useful for home remodeling and alot of money can save for this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.